OK, I’m sure many of my #SundaySupper friends will come up with more creative interpretations of the April Fool’s theme than that, but this Roasted Broccoli Dip recipe is very tasty, and is a departure from dips you see more often. Hey, you might even want to feature it as one of your Easter appetizers!
Once you get the basics of making something like roasted broccoli down, it’s fun to see how may ways you can serve it. Sometimes I like to just put roasted broccoli in my blender and puree it with a bit of kale for a special treat for my 9 year old–he loves that much better than candy! [OK, now I’m foolin’!]
Seriously, I do have fun when I get on a roll with something like roasted broccoli. I hadn’t really had it much before this winter, but really was taken by the nuttiness that comes from the roasting process.
That nutty flavor comes forth in this dip, and works nicely with the feta and cream cheese (I use light cream cheese to keep this on the healthy side). Roasted red pepper in the mix adds more flavor and color. I happened to have a bit of prosciutto left from something else, and added that in the spirit of not wasting. You could easily skip that to keep this vegetarian.
This one is very easy. Once the broccoli is roasted, get those ingredients together in a food processor and you have a tasty dip in no time. No fooling!
I like to serve this dip with pita chips, but I’m sure veggies or crackers would work, too. Pour a Chardonnay or sparkling wine, and you’ve got a good start to the party!
Roasted Broccoli Dip
Roasted broccoli lends depth of flavor to a dip that also features roasted red peppers and feta cheese.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 7 ozs roasted red peppers, drained and rinsed
- 8 ozs lite cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 4 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- ½ cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- pinch red pepper flakes
- tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 olives
- black pepper to taste
- ½ slice prosciutto or cooked bacon (optional)
- Remove the cream cheese from refrigerator about 20 minutes before putting the dip together so it begins to soften.
- Preheat oven to 425. Toss the broccoli with 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder and a bit of salt to taste. Spread the broccoli out in a single layer in a medium roasting pan. Place in the oven to roast for about 20 minutes until the broccoli turns tender and begins to brown. Remove roasted broccoli from oven and set aside to cool.
- Add the garlic to a food processor, pulse to mince the garlic. Add the broccoli, red peppers and cream cheese. Purée the ingredients so that the veggies are well combined with the cheese.
- Add the remaining ingredients, from the soy sauce through the black pepper, and the prosciutto if you are using it. Purée these ingredients so that they are fully incorporated.
- Serve the dip in a bowl surrounded by pita chips or other dipping options.