Orzo with Provencal Pesto recipe features orzo pasta tossed with a pesto inspired by the flavors of Southern France–tomatoes, olives and fresh herbs. Good as a side dish for lamb or pork, or can also serve as a vegetarian main.
We love orzo dishes here, especially as the weather gets warmer. Somehow orzo seems a bit lighter than some other types of pasta, making it great for the season. So we are happy to share this Orzo with Provençal Pesto recipe as part of today’s Sunday Supper event focused on orzo recipes.
I first made this Orzo with Provençal Pesto recipe in my early days of blogging. I didn’t even post a picture along with it, but remembered recalled that it was tasty along with a braised lamb dish. I thought I would update this orzo recipe to share with you today.
I was pleased that our Orzo with Provençal Pesto recipe stood the test of time. I made it exactly as I put it together and posted back in 2011, and it was very tasty once again. Savory flavor of olives and Parmesan cheese along with the fresh taste of tomatoes and fresh herbs transport you to Southern France as you enjoy this dish.
For our recent edition of Orzo with Provençal Pesto, we enjoyed it along with some simple roasted pork chops. I’d say this orzo recipe is perfect as a side for pork or lamb, but could also stand on its own as a vegetarian entree along with a green salad.
Wine Pairing for Orzo with Provençal Pesto
The wine pairing choice for Orzo with Provençal Pesto will depend a bit on what else is on your plate. But a great default choice here is a medium to full bodied rosé from Provence. Rosé can be a great food friendly choice any time of year, but is especially appealing this time of year.
A rosé from Provence typically includes some combination of Mourvedre, Cinsault, Grenache and Carignan. If you are in the mood to splurge a bit, look for one from the Bandol appellation. I write about one favorite Bandol rosé here, which we served with Mediterranean grilled chicken along with another orzo dish. That bottle goes for about $25, but you can certainly find good French rosé for about half that price.
Just stay away from super light rosé styles if you are serving a meat dish along with the Orzo with Provençal Pesto. Save those for the pool side sipping!
More Cooking Chat Orzo Recipe Favorites
We love the Greek Orzo with Spinach, Olives and Feta shown above for a side dish. The Orzo Salad with Kale Pesto is a great option to bring along for summer picnics or potlucks. Click here for more of our Cooking Chat orzo recipes.Print
Orzo with Provencal Pesto
Orzo tossed with a pesto inspired by the flavors of Southern France–tomatoes, olives and fresh herbs. Good as a side dish for lamb or pork, or can also serve as a vegetarian main.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: French
For the Provençal Pesto
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 roasted red pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
8 olives, chopped
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- optional: toasted almonds or pumpkin seeds
- Begin cooking orzo according to package instructions.
- Make the pesto: place the pesto ingredients in a food processor, pulse to combine into a purée. Set the pesto sauce aside as the orzo finishes cooking.
- When the orzo is done cooking, drain and then toss immediately with the Provencal pesto.
- Stir the olives and Parmesan cheese into the orzo, and top with the optional almonds or pumpkin seeds if using. Plate and enjoy along with the rest of your meal.
- You can use canned or fresh tomatoes.
Orzo Pasta Recipes
- Beef with Onion Gravy Orzo by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Greek Orzo Pasta Salad with Chicken by Sunday Supper Movement
- One Pot Italian Sausage Orzo with Spinach by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Orzo Risotto with Asparagus and Shrimp by Delaware Girl Eats
- Orzo Salad with Watermelon and Feta by Positively Stacey
- Elegant Orzo Shrimp & Vegetable Salad Stuffed Avocados by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Orzo with Provencal Pesto by Cooking Chat
- Rice Pilaf Amandine by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Vegetable Salad with Orzo, Mozzarella and Basil by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Southwestern Orzo by The Freshman Cook
- Stovetop Orzo Macaroni and Cheese by Pies and Plots
- Summer Vegetable Orzo Pasta Salad by My Fearless Kitchen
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.