Simple Pan Seared Scallops cooked with a garlic soy sauce for an easy meal. Serve with a glass of white wine, perhaps from Burgundy, for a great pairing. Click here to jump down to the recipe.
This meal started with the wine. I wanted to make something to pair with a Burgundy for the January edition of French Winophiles. I noticed fresh sea scallops were on sale, and Jodi had mentioned we hadn’t had them in awhile. Boom. We’d cook up some Simple Pan Seared Scallops, and serve with a white Burgundy.
Scallops are one of those things that need very little adornment. I’ve enjoyed them with pesto and other sauces, but simple preparations really lets this shellfish shine. So we put together a quick marinade with low-sodium soy sauce, orange juice and garlic. The scallops marinate in this mixture for about 5 minutes, 10 tops, and they are read to pan sear. You don’t want delicate fish like scallops to marinate for long or they will get too salty.
The Simple Pan Seared Scallops cook for about two minutes per side. The outside gets a bit browned and crisp, while the inside is just warmed through. Don’t overcook scallops or they will lose their flavor!
Serve the scallops with a simple green salad, and perhaps some couscous or orzo. And of course, a white wine.
Wine Pairing: We served the Simple Pan Seared Scallops with a 2013 Verget Macon-Villages ($20). This white Burgundy from the Mâconnais, the furthest south of five major Burgundy sub-regions. Like virtually all white Burgundies, the wine is made from Chardonnay grapes. The wine is crisp with good minerality, and makes a good pairing for the scallops.
I mentioned we had this pairing in mind for the the French Winophiles event this month. We decided the event was a good excuse to try two Burgundy pairings! We wound up sharing Pouilly-Fuissé with Goat Cheese Pasta and Chicken for the official Winophiles event this past Saturday. Two white Burgundy pairing ideas for you to try!Print
Simple Pan Seared Scallops
Simple Pan Seared Scallops cooked with a garlic soy sauce for an easy and delicious meal.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 3 servings
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
- 10 sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp brown rice vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Combine the soy sauce, orange juice, rice vinegar, honey and garlic in a bowl.
- Add the scallops to the bowl, and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet or sauté pan on medium high heat.
- Use a fork to add the scallops to the heated pan. Ladle about 2 tablespoons of the marinade over the scallops. Cook for two minutes on one side, then flip and cook for two more minutes on the other side. Remove from heat.
- Plate and serve along with a green salad and white wine, if you are so inclined.