Last Updated on
Pineapple salsa add great flavor to our Avocado Chicken Bowls. Healthy and easy meal to make with leftover chicken. This recipe makes two bowls, but there is enough quinoa and pineapple salsa for at least four bowls.
I’m having trouble adjusting to lunches over $10.
Earlier in my working career, I recall being able to find good lunch options under $5 on days I didn’t pack a lunch from home. I enjoyed my kale bowl the other day from b.good the other day, but grumble a bit about paying about $10 for it. Then it occurred to me I should be making similar style bowls more at home. That was the motivation behind this Avocado Chicken Bowls with Pineapple Salsa recipe.
This bowl starts with quinoa, topped with a bit of spinach followed by avocado. Then we top it off with leftover chicken cut into bite sized pieces along with tasty pineapple salsa. Some healthy yumminess! The pineapple salsa really makes this a flavorful dish.
If you happened to notice the last recipe posted here also featured pineapple salsa, served with grilled shrimp in that case, there’s no coincidence. The pineapple salsa for that grilled shrimp recipe made enough for leftovers, and this Avocado Chicken Bowls recipe was a great way to use it. So if you want to make two avocado chicken bowls as called for here, you might consider saving the extra salsa for grilled shrimp. Or simply increase the quantities of chicken and avocado to make more avocado chicken bowls; there’s easily enough salsa and quinoa here for four bowls.
I like to use a grill pan to prepare the onion and peppers used in the pineapple salsa. That’s a great way to prevent the veggies from slipping through the grill grates. (I’ve provided my Amazon affiliate link to a good grill pan option; I would earn a commission if you use a purchase using the link).
Avocado Chicken Bowl with Pineapple Salsa
Pineapple salsa adds great flavor to avocado chicken bowl. Healthy and easy meal with leftover chicken.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
- 1 onion, sliced and chopped
- ½ of a green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups pineapple, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp cilantro, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- AVOCADO CHICKEN BOWLS
- 1 avocado, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- Make the quinoa: Heat the water to boiling, stir in the quinoa. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer covered for 16 to 20 minutes until the water is absorbed. When the quinoa is done, remove heat, stir with a fork, then cover.
- As the quinoa cooks, make the pineapple salsa. Toss the onion and green pepper with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and spread on a grill pan.
- Place the onion and peppers on the grill. Grill for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from grill when the onion has started to brown. NOTE: If you don’t have a grill pan for the onion and peppers, you could grill larger onion and pepper slices and chop them after grilling.
- In a bowl, combine the pineapple, grilled onion and green pepper, serrano pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil, cilantro and lime juice. Salt and pepper to taste, stir and set aside.
- Set out bowls to prepare the avocado chicken bowls. Add a couple scoops of quinoa to the bottom of the bowl. Add a handful of baby spinach on top of the quinoa. Then spread about half of the avocado slices on top of the spinach and quinoa.
- Add half of the chicken on top of the quinoa and avocado, followed by several scoops of pineapple salsa. Repeat the process to make the other bowl, and enjoy.