Have you tried Mexican wine? Join with the Wine Pairing Weekend group for some Mexican wine tasting and food pairings to go with this wine. We started with a Mexican wine tasting and webinar on March 26. Coming up next is our monthly #winePW blog event on April 9.
I was quite unfamiliar with Mexican wines until a 2020 Choice Wines Project tasting with Tozi Imports. Max Murphy and Kenya Medina, the couple that started this company, tasted us through an impressive lineup of wines along with background on the history of Mexican wines and its regions.
Since then, I have found a number of opportunities to collaborate with Max and Kenya, not to mention enjoy a range of their wines from Mexico. Now you, too, have a chance to learn about Mexican wines!
There are two parts of this #winePW focused on Mexican wine.
Mexican Wine Tasting & Webinar March 26
On Saturday, March 26 we held a virtual Mexican Wine Tasting & Webinar. If you missed, you can catch the Mexican Wine Webinar here on YouTube.
Max provided background on the history of Mexican wines and the various wine regions. He then led us through a virtual tasting of a variety of wines that provide a sense of the range and quality of wines from Mexico. The wines were made available for purchase at select Boston area stores. Below is a summary of the wine lineup and where you can find the wines (they were available as of our March 2022 event, check with the stores for current availability):
- NV Vina Dona Dolores Brut Gran Reserva (Magnolia Wine Watertown, Wine Press Brookline, Pamplemousse Reading, Concord Cheese Shop, Crosby’s Market Concord, Burlington Wine & Spirits and Urban Grape -South End Boston)
- 2021 Monte Xanic Sauvignon Blanc (Burlington Wine & Spirits, Wine Press Brookline, Sorriso Market Brookline, Baystate Liquors Reading, Pamplemousse Reading, Inman Square Wine & Spirits Cambridge, Concord Cheese Shop, Bermans Fine Wines, Lexington, and Urban Grape)
- 2016 Vinos del Marques Tempranillo (Wine Press Brookline, Baystate Liquors Reading, Porter Square Wines & Spirits Cambridge, Urban Grape)
- 2016 Paso de Serra ‘Previo’ (Pamplemousse Reading, Wine Press Boston and Urban Grape)
- 2017 Vinos Guaname Merlot (Burlington Wine & Spirits, Concord Cheese Shop, Urban Grape)
- 2019 Monte Xanic Cabernet Sauvignon (Burlington Wine & Spirits, Sorriso Market Brookline, Baystate Liquors Reading, and Urban Grape)
In addition, The Urban Grape delivers within the Greater Boston area for $10; and ships nationally via FedEx.
If you aren’t able to make the live event, you can view the recording here.
Wine Pairing Weekend Mexican Wine Blog Event
Saturday, April 9, will be our typical monthly #winePW blog event. Participating bloggers will be sampling some Mexican wine and pairing it with food. Here is what the Wine Pairing Weekend group is planning to share:
- Wendy from a A Day in the Life on the Farm will share “Mexican Foods and Wines always provide for a Perfect Fiesta”
- Susannah from Avvinare is “Discovering Mexican Wine”
- Jen from Vino Travels is taking “A First Look at Mexican Wines Including Italian Grapes”
- Carlos from Carlos’ Food & Wine is serving up “Mexican wines featuring sparkling wine risotto & grilled hanger steak with mushroom-red wine sauce”
- Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla is sharing “Outside the Pigeon-Hole: Pairing Mexican Wine with Thai Cuisine”
- Gwendolyn from Wine Predator Gwendolyn Alley features “Sparkling Wine from Mexico For #TacoTuesday”
- Robin of Crushed Grape Chronicles will share “Mexican Wines – 2 wines from the central Mexican highlands of Querétaro #WinePW”
- Linda from My Full Wine Glass is “Saying ‘hola’ to Mexican Tempranillo and sparkling wine”
- Martin from ENOFLZ Wine Blog will share “Exploring Mexican Wine Beyond Baja”
- Nicole from Somm’s Table is “Sipping Mexican Wines with a Bowl of Birria”
- Liz at What’s in that Bottle will post “Salud a Los Vinos de Mexico!”
- Terri from Our Good Life will pair “Grassfed Ribeye with Steak Butter and Grilled Oyster Mushrooms Paired with Monte Xanic Cabernet Sauvignon”
- David from Cooking Chat will pair “Roasted Beet Pesto Pasta with Mexican Merlot“
There is still time to join our April #winePW event focused on pairings for Mexican wines. Here is how to participate:
- Obtain one or more bottles of Mexican wine.
- Plan a food pairing or pairings to go with the wine.
- Let me know the title of your article about the wine and pairing by emailing me – david AT cookingchatfood.com.
- Post your article by 9 a.m. Eastern Time on Saturday, April 9. Include the links to the other participating bloggers in your article (I will provide the html code).
- Join us for a live Twitter chat at 11 a.m. Eastern / 8 a.m. Pacific on April 9, using the tag #winePW.
- Visit the other participating blogs, comment and share their posts!
- Use the #winePW hashtag when posting on social media about this event.