Last Updated on
This Savory Strawberry Crostini recipe post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
I was so glad to learn last year that fresh Florida strawberries are available throughout the winter! Living in New England, I had associated fresh strawberry season when they are available locally for a brief window of time starting in June. Now, I know that Florida strawberries can bring a fresh taste of summer into a wintry kitchen.
Savory Strawberry Crostini for the Holidays
The holiday season is in full swing, and that means lots of gatherings calling for tasty recipes. Why not make a festive recipe featuring Florida strawberries for your next holiday party?
Sure, I love fresh Florida strawberries topping my cereal in the morning. But I’ve been learning there are many great ways to feature strawberries in a variety of savory recipes. Last year I came up with some delicious seafood recipes with Florida Strawberries, like Mahi Mahi with Strawberry Sauce.
For this holiday season, I came up with a Florida strawberry recipe for holiday entertaining. Savory Strawberry Crostini start with light toasted baguette circles, topped with a bit of goat cheese. Then comes a flavorful strawberry sauce, with the natural strawberry sweetness and a bit of kick from some garlic. Top it off with a strawberry slice, and you are ready to serve your Savory Strawberry Crostini!
Health benefits of Florida Strawberries
I’d be excited to enjoy Florida Strawberries just for the great taste, so the healthy benefits come as an added bonus. Another reason to try making our Savory Strawberry Crostini recipe!
I learned previously how packed with vitamin C Florida strawberries are–8 medium strawberries contain more vitamin C than an orange! Recently I was reading more about the nutritional benefits of Florida strawberries and learned that strawberries are one of the most nutrient dense foods you can eat, receiving the highest possible score in something called the Overall Nutrition Quality Index. Head over to the Florida Strawberries website to learn more.
Pairings for Savory Strawberry Crostini
Sparkling wine is a natural choice to go with this Savory Strawberry Crostini. Bubbles and strawberries are natural partners. Sparkling wine also complements the goat cheese in the recipe, and is likely to match well with other appetizers you might be nibbling on at a holiday party. I would generally go for a dry style sparkling wine with appetizers.
Despite the merits of bubbly with this recipe, based on what we had on hand I wound up serving the Savory Strawberry Crostini with a white Rhone blend, featuring white Grenache and Roussanne. That pairing worked out quite well. I also sampled these crostini with a hoppy ale, and that pairing gets a thumbs up, too.
However you choose to enjoy your Florida strawberries, I hope you have a happy, healthy and tasty holiday season!Print
Savory Strawberry Crostini #FLStrawberry #SundaySupper
Toasted crostini topped with goat cheese and a flavorful sauce made using fresh Florida strawberries.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 14 Florida strawberries, divided
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup basil leaves
- 1 tsp honey
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp goat cheese
- 1 baguette
- oil spray
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees.
- Make the strawberry sauce: combine 10 of the strawberries, garlic, basil, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper in a food processor. Puree to liquify the ingredients. Set the sauce aside.
- Slice the remaining 4 strawberries in thin, vertical slices to top the crostini, then cut each slice in half.
- Thinly slice the baguette to create 12 rounds about 3/4 of an inch thick. Reserve the remaining bread for another use.
- Use the oil spray to coat one side of each slice of bread.
- Put the bread into the oven, and toast for about 5 minutes until it start to brown and get slightly crispy.
- Remove the toasted crostini from the oven. Take a small bit of the goat cheese, and spread it to thinly coat one side of the toasted crostini. Then scoop enough of the strawberry sauce to cover the crostini, about 2 teaspoons. Top with 1 of the strawberry slices to serve.
- Repeat the crostini making process with the goat cheese, strawberry sauce and strawberry slice to make 12 savory strawberry crostini (or the desired amount you want). Serve on a platter and enjoy!
Chance to Win a Trip to Florida!
It’s getting cold here in Boston, so I am really excited to hear that Florida Strawberry is launching a huge giveaway this season! Submit a fabulous photo with Florida strawberries and receive a free Florida Strawberry cap plus get entered for a chance to win a getaway to Florida at the TradeWinds Island Resort in St. Pete’s Beach. The giveaway end on February 12, 2017. Airfare, accommodations, and a tour of a strawberry farm in Plant City for up to 4 people are included. Learn more by visiting this page on the Florida Strawberries site. You can enter the contest by submitting your photo there or using the #FLStrawberryCap hashtag on social media–enter as many times as you like (though the Florida Strawberry Cap is a one per household deal). This contest isn’t based on luck, they will be handpicking the winning photo, so get creative!
More Recipes and Ideas for Florida Strawberries
For more information on Florida Strawberries, be sure to check out the following websites and social media accounts:
And be sure to check out all these great recipes using Florida Strawberries from the Sunday Supper bloggers!
- Balsamic Strawberry Brie Bites by Casa de Crews
- Roasted Strawberry Chipotle Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Savory Strawberry Crostini by Cooking Chat you are here!
- Strawberry Apple Salsa by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Hummus by The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries by Desserts Required
- Classic Eton Mess by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fresh Strawberry Pie by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Goopy Goop – A Healthy Strawberry Sauce by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Bundt Cake by Caroline’s Cooking
- Strawberry Layer Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting by Family Around The Table
- Grilled Balsamic Strawberry & Chicken Kabobs by Books n’ Cooks
- Grilled Fish Topped with Strawberry Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Strawberry BBQ Shredded Chicken by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry and Arugula Pizza by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Strawberry Balsamic Brie Grilled Cheese by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Almond Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Bread by An Appealing Plan
- Strawberry Bruschetta Side Salad by April Golightly
- Strawberry Coleslaw by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Pecan Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.