I don’t know about you, but I like to do some serious eating on Thanksgiving! The calendar has turned to November, meaning the holiday season and the related eating is fast approaching. Some lighter recipes to balance the indulgences are in order, and that is the theme of this week’s #SundaySupper hosted by Kathia from Basic N Delicious. I’m happy to contribute my Spicy Eggplant Dip to the mix.
This recipe was born out of a desire to use up eggplants from our fall farmshare. You might not believe that until recently I didn’t care much for eggplant, considering that I’m posting eggplant recipes two days in row here (yesterday, tossed with grilled swordfish and pasta). But it’s true, I’m a recent convert.
Awhile back, Jodi and I shared an incredibly tasty eggplant dip at a restaurant. Neither of us could believe it was eggplant. I intended to try to re-create it at some point. The idea and flavors lingered until I finally got around to making this!
I’ve made this twice now, for the same group of extended family members. I recall sampling my first batch, thinking it was pretty good, but wasn’t sure how it would go over. I had people sample it without telling the ingredients (promising that no raw fish or other exotic ingredients were involved). Everyone really liked it, but no one guessed the main ingredient!
So, if you’re looking for a dip to get a holiday gathering started, without filling folks up too much, give this one a try! And perhaps you might see if you’re crowd can guess what’s in it faster than my family did.
Roasted eggplant works for this eggplant dip, too, but our taste testers preferred the version made with grilled eggplant. The instructions start with the grilled eggplant method; here’s a link to a basic method for roasting it. The grill plan shown above is handy if you have a smaller eggplant.
So if you’re looking for a new, healthy appetizer, grab the recipe below and soon you will be digging into this spicy eggplant dip!
Spicy Eggplant Dip
Grilled eggplant combined with spices, herbs and feta cheese for a tasty and healthy appetizer.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups grilled eggplant (see steps 1-4)
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon honey
- generous pinch cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice eggplant in circles, ½ inch thick. 1 large or 2 small eggplants is a a good amount for this recipe.
- Spread the eggplant sliced out on a plate in a single layer. Salt the eggplant slices generously, and let the eggplant sit and absorb the salt for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a grill to medium high. Spread the salted eggplant out in a grill pan (larger eggplant slices can be placed directly on the grill). Coat the eggplant with cooking oil spray. Place the grill pan on the grill to cook the eggplant.
- Turn the slices over after 5 minutes, and grill for another 5 minutes or so until the eggplant is cooked to a nice tenderness and has begun to caramelize. Remove the eggplant from the grill and set aside to cool.
- After the eggplant has cooled, measure 2 cups of grilled eggplant and set remainder aside for other use, such as adding to a salad or pasta.
- Add the garlic to a food processor, and give it a whir to finely chop the garlic. Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor, and puree until everything is well-combined.
- Taste to see if you like the spice level, add a bit more cayenne if needed for more kick. You can also add a bit more olive oil if the dip seems thicker than you’d like.
- Scoop the dip into a serving bowl. Serve with pita chips or other dipping item of your choice. Enjoy.
Check out all the tasty and healthy recipes from the #SundaySupper crew!
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Malted Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Appetizer or starter
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat (you are here!)
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu’s Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Grandma’s Mac n’ Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Brunch with Joy
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Lentil and Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles and Truffles
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Individual Cheesecakes by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.