As the name suggests, beef tenderloin tips are a super-tender cut of beef, and don’t need a lot of adornment to make a tasty meal. I was gifted a couple packages of this beef and got to experiment with various preparations. This Beef Tenderloin Tips with Caramelized Onions recipe definitely got a thumbs up from our family!
Just a few ingredients you are likely to have on hand come together quickly for a simple and flavorful marinade. Tender cuts like tenderloin don’t need to marinade for long. If you want to try this marinade with a less tender cut of meat, put the beef into the fridge with the marinade for a longer stretch.
I made this while there was still lots of snow piled on our grill, so this is an indoor method for cooking beef tenderloin tips. This would certainly be nice adapted for the grill now that it’s starting to get warmer!
I served the beef tenderloin tips with baked potato and a simple arugula salad. It would also go nicely with the Tuscan Arugula Salad.
Wine Pairing: The beef combined with this marinade and caramelized onions definitely work with a Zinfandel! This recipe has been waiting in the publishing queue for a few weeks, and I seem to have lost track of the zin we enjoyed with this. So grab a Zinfandel you like or try a new one with this, and let me know how you liked it!Print
Beef Tenderloin with Caramelized Onions
Succulent beef tenderloin topped with the sweetness of caramelized onions for a tasty meal.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
- 12 ozs beef tenderloin tips
- ¼ cup soy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Make the marinade: combine the soy sauce, 1 tbsp olive oil, mustard, garlic powder and ginger in a bowl.
- Toss the the marinade with the beef. Marinade the beef for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet on medium high heat, and spray with oil. When hot, shake the excess marinade off the beef, then add it to the skillet.
- Cook the beef for 2 minutes on one, side, then flip to sear for 2 more minutes on the other side.
- Move the skillet to the oven to finish cooking. 4 to 5 minutes at 400 degrees should get you medium rare.
- When cooked to your liking, take the skillet out of the oven and move the beef to a platter. Cover the platter with aluminum foil to keep warm while you cook the onions.
- Place the skillet used for the beef on the stove top. Heat the olive oil on medium high.
- Add the onions to the skillet, stir to coat with the olive oil and beef cooking juices. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, so the onions get soft and browned.
- Serve the beef topped with caramelized onions. Enjoy!
Like this recipe? You might also enjoy Avocado Chimichurri Beef Tenderloin.