Quinoa with Grilled Onions and Peppers along with a bit of feta cheese makes for an easy and healthy side dish. Perfect for a night when you have the grill going for some meat or fish! Read on about our quest for tasty quinoa, or click here to jump down to the recipe.
I used to be skeptical about quinoa, but now I’m all in.
The first time or two I tried making quinoa I didn’t like the way it came out, and I didn’t try it again for a few years. I’m glad I gave it another shot, as now quinoa is in the mix regularly here, making for a substantial and healthy side dish. Today we share our latest version, Quinoa with Grilled Onions and Peppers.
I’m not sure what went wrong with my early attempts at making quinoa. Maybe I didn’t do the step of rinsing the quinoa until the water runs clear? This article from the kitchn suggests its not a big difference maker based on their tasting, but does note the reason rinsing is recommended is to remove quinoa’s natural coating, which can be bitter. I do recall my early quinoa being a on the bitter side.
Two other variables also seem to contribute to my newfound fondness for quinoa. I get a blend of different types quinoa that also includes a little bit of millet, which gives it nice color and flavor. The other key to my quinoa cooking now is that I realize that quinoa is pretty plain by itself, and needs to be tossed with something to give it flavor. Today, it is quinoa with grilled onions and peppers. Some other tasty quinoa favorites include Quinoa with Grilled Eggplant, Spinach and Feta and Quinoa with Salmon and Strawberries.
Our Quinoa with Grilled Onions and Peppers is a perfect side dish for a night you are cooking something else on the grill. We served with Grilled Halibut with Parsley Pesto–stay tuned for that tasty recipe! The quinoa cooks while the onions and peppers get cooked on the grill, then they get combined for a tasty combination. A bit of feta cheese rounds out the flavor at the end. Give it a try and you too might become a quinoa fan, if you aren’t already! There are a lot of good health reasons to learn to love quinoa. In fact, the site Well-Being Secrets has rounded up 27 Health Benefits of Quinoa.Print
Quinoa with Grilled Onions and Peppers
Hearty quinoa grain tossed with grilled onions, peppers and feta cheese for an easy and healthy side dish.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Side dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed in cold water until the water runs clear
- 2 cups of water
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a grill to 400 degrees.
- Toss the onion and pepper with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the onion mixture into a grill pan, and place on the grill. Stir occasionally, grilling for about 10 minutes until the onions start to brown. Remove the grilled onions and peppers, and scrape into a plastic bowl. Toss with another tablespoon olive oil, and set aside.
- Start the quinoa as the onions and pepper grills. Heat the water to boiling, stir in the quinoa. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer covered for 16 to 20 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- When the quinoa is done, stir the onion pepper mixture into the quinoa.
- Stir in the feta cheese, and serve the quinoa along with your main course.