Kids help when it comes to creating special recipes. I appreciate the concept of simplicity reflected in this week’s “5 ingredients or less” #SundaySupper theme, yet that is not necessarily the way I roll when it comes to cooking up something new. When thinking about things to share for this week, I realized even many of the simpler recipes I’ve come up with quickly get closer to ten ingredients rather than five.
Enter our nine year old. Recently I was baking some tilapia with pesto, inspired by this recipe Cynthia shared for a past #SundaySupper. He can’t eat pesto due to food allergies, so I cooked up his tilapia with a simple soy sauce and sugar combo. He raved about it, and I figured I was on to something. So when the 5 ingredients or less challenge rolled around, I figured I’d apply the same flavors to a Simple Grilled Tilapia recipe. I was pleased with the simple and tasty results! Continuing to keep things simple, we enjoyed the tilapia with a green salad and couscous.
Even though tilapia is a thin and delicate looking fillet, it is firm enough to handle the heat of the grill. Just three to four minutes per side and you’ve got your entree on the table. Doesn’t get much easier than that!Print
Simple Grilled Tilapia #SundaySupper
Simple Grilled Tilapia has just a few ingredients but plenty of flavor for an easy and healthy meal.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Total Time: 13 mins
- Yield: 3 servings
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Grilling
- 12 ozs tilapia fillets
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (low sodium preferably)
- 1 tsp sugar
- Preheat a grill to medium high.
- Combine the soy sauce and sugar in mixing bowl.
- Add the tilapia fillets to the bowl and gently turn them over to coat with the marinade. Let the fish marinate for about 5 minutes.
- Spray the grill with cooking oil. Take a tilapia fillet out of the marinade, gently shake off the excess liquid and place the fillet on the grill. Repeat for the other fillets. (12 ozs will likely be 3 fillets).
- Grill for 3 minutes on one side, then flip the fillets to grill for 3 to 4 minutes on the other side. Use a grill spatula to remove the tilapia from the grill to a platter. Enjoy with a salad and grain side.
Be sure to check out all the simple and delicious recipes from the #SundaySupper crew! Thanks to TR from Gluten Free Crumbley for hosting!
- 2 Ingredient Orange Juice Frosty Drink by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Five Ingredient Sangria by Our Good Life
- Pina Colada Summer Smoothie by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
Appetizers and Snacks
- 5-Ingredient Creamy Avocado Dressing by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Crescent Jalapeno Poppers by The Weekend Gourmet
- Crockpot Chicken Chili Dip by The Crumby Cupcake
- Gluten Free Peach Salsa by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Grilled Zucchini and Goat Cheese Roll Ups by Food Done Light
- Marinated Feta Tomato Skewers by Noshing with the Nolands
- Roasted Chili-Lime Peanuts by Casa de Crews
- Strawberry Coconut Soup with Mint by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- 3 Ingredient Steak Marinade by MealDiva
- Baked Fajita Chicken by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Crab Pasta by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Portobello Mushrooms by Palatable Pastime
- Healthy Chocolate Protein Pancakes by Momma’s Meals
- Homemade Porcini Almond Pasta by The Joyful Foodie
- Abruzzo Style Cannellini Beans with Fennel & Chicken by Delaware Girl Eats
- Nutella BLT Sandwich by Brunch with Joy
- Salmon in Puff Pastry by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Simple Brined Roast Chicken with Herbs and Garlic by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Simple Grilled Tilapia by Cooking Chat
- Simple Summer Shrimp and Asparagus by eating in instead
- Skirt Steak and Grilled Potatoes for a Crowd by Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken by Nosh My Way
- Slowcooker Ravioli Lasagne by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Brazilian Black Beans by Curious Cuisiniere
- Korean Seasoned Dried Squid (Ojingeochae muchim) by kimchi MOM
- Mashed Cauliflower with Parmesan by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sauerkraut and Apple Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sesame Lime Edamame by Magnolia Days
- Southern Style Squash Casserole by Recipe for Perfection
- Tomato, Avocado and Bacon Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Apple Drop Candy by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Toffee Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Coconut White Chocolate Truffles by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Easy No Churn Peach Frozen Yogurt by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fluffernutter Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Magic Pudding Dessert by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- No-Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Rhubarb Crumble by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Creamy Coconut, Roasted Strawberry Chocolate Chip Popsicles by Simply Health Family
- Recipe Substitution Tips by Sunday Supper
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.