We enjoyed a lot of good eating around the holidays, how about you? I love the special holiday food, but you can’t eat Filet Mignon with Balsamic Pan Sauce every day! So I was very ready for the Lighter New Year #SundaySupper theme, hosted by Gluten Free Crumbley. I thought this would be a great time to update and share my Salmon with Mushrooms recipe.
We feature wild salmon regularly in our home as part of our healthy eating plans. A few years ago, I had a salmon with mushrooms dish at a restaurant, and quickly set to re-create it at home. Mushrooms aren’t something I first think of to serve with seafood, but here they add a nice depth of flavor to the fish.
The salmon gets quickly pan seared in this recipe. I get the mushroom sauce ready first, then keep it warm as the salmon cooks. I typically get a fairly thin fillet from the tail section–avoiding the thicker cut that has the pin bones. If you do have a thicker piece of salmon, you can bump the cooking times slightly by flipping it back to cook an extra couple of minutes on the skin side at the end. But don’t overcook your salmon!
I often serve salmon with couscous, and you can do that with this recipe to stay with the light theme. However, when I make these mushrooms, I like to have mashed potatoes alongside, and put some of the extra sauce on the potatoes. We rounded out the meal with some sautéed spinach.
Salmon with Mushrooms Wine Pairing
If you haven’t enjoyed red wine with seafood yet, pairing Pinot Noir with salmon is the way to get started! Pinot Noir has earthiness that works nicely with the mushrooms, and salmon is plenty substantial to stand up to a red wine. This makes Pinot a winning pairing for salmon with mushrooms. So grab your favorite pinot and enjoy with this healthy dish! For a more adventurous red wine and seafood pairing, try this grilled tuna and Syrah combination.Print
Salmon with Mushrooms
Pan seared salmon topped with a simple mushroom sauce adds depth to the healthy fish. Perfect paired with a Pinot Noir.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: seafood
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 crimini mushrooms, sliced (or other wild mushroom)
- ¼ cup red wine
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or herbes de provence
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces or more wild salmon fillet
- 1 ½ tablespoon canola oil
- Start making the mushroom sauce. Heat 1 tablespoon butter plus 1 tablespoon olive oil in a sauce pan or skillet over medium heat. When melted, add the shallot, cook until it begins to soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a another minute.
- Stir in the mushrooms, along with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms begin to soften.
- Add the red wine and the thyme, cook for about 5 more minutes, until the wine has been reduced by about ½ and the mushrooms are fully cooked.
- Finish the sauce by melting in another tablespoon of butter, and stirring to incorporate it into the sauce. Turn the heat down to very low and cover to keep warm as you cook the salmon.
- Start cooking the salmon by heating the canola oil in a skillet on medium-high. When the pan is good and hot, add the salmon, skin side down. Sprinkle a little extra oil on top along w a touch of salt. Don’t touch the fish for about 4 minutes.
- Cook other side of salmon: After searing the salmon on the skin side for 4 minutes, flip the fish with a spatula. Cook on the flesh side for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove salmon from heat and let it rest for a few minutes covered loosely with foil. The fish should still be very moist and have a dark orange color inside.
- Serve: Cut a portion of salmon for each person, and served topped with some mushroom sauce.
- You can use a small onion instead of a shallot if you like.
- Vary the type of mushrooms used based on what you have available.
- This makes extra mushroom sauce that can be used with your side dish or another meal.
Keywords: salmon with mushrooms, pan seared salmon, easy salmon recipes
But wait, there’s more…way more healthy recipes to check out from the #SundaySupper Crew!
- Almond Mocha Smoothie from The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate-Covered Berries Green Smoothie from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus DeTox Spa Water from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Peachilious Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Blissful Breakfast Items
- Apple Crumble Smoothie Bowl from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Light Eggs Benedict from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Multigrain Scones from The Texan New Yorker
- Nutty Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Reduced Sugar Donuts from The Ninja Baker
- Broccoli Pesto from Curried Cantaloupe
- Fava Bean and Avocado Guacamole from Pancake Warriors
- Homemade Snickerdoodle Peanut Butter from Wallflour Girl
- Norwegian Egg Benedict from Brunch with Joy
- Roasted Pumpkin and Chevre Bruschetta from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spicy Curried Lentil Spread with Winter Veggies from Lifestyle Food Artistry
Savory Soups and Sides
- Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Light Creamed Roasted Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Detox Chicken Bok Choy Soup from Nosh My Way
- French Potato Leek Soup from Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Chicken Pho Soup from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Marinated Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from From Gate to Plate
- Quinoa Mango Pomegranate Spinach Salad with White Balsamic Vinigrette from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Red Cabbage and Golden Raisin Salad from girlichef
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Endive Slaw with Champagne Vinaigrette from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Spinach and Black Bean Ravioletti Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
- Black Pepper Tofu with Black Garlic Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fish Steamed with Spicy Couscous from Food Lust People Love
- Greek Style Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce from Nik Snacks
- Kale Pesto with Squash Noodles from Ruffles & Truffles
- Mexican Turkey Cutlets from Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs, Fennel & Sweet Potato from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Portuguese Kale Soup from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Salmon with Mushroom Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Skinny Chicken-Leek Pot Pie from The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa from Bobbi’s Kosy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Italian Barley & Sausage from Foxes Loves Lemons
- Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches from Food Done Light
- Tomato Goat Cheese Arugula Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Easy to be Green Chocolate Chip Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Fruit Parfait from Desserts Required
- Maple Pear Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Easy Blackberry Crumble from The Perfect Brownie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.