Grilled Chipotle Pork Chops, made with a quick chipotle marinade, are an easy full-flavored main course recipe from the grill. Our contribution for a spicy #SundaySupper!
I consider myself a fan of spicy food, so I definitely wanted to join the “Spice is Nice and Some Like it Hot” Sunday Supper. Thanks to Sara from The Chef Next Door for hosting this flavorful event!
Now, I need to qualify my fondness for spicy food. I don’t go for food that has so much heat that it burns. I feel that I can’t taste much when it gets that hot.
I like a robust spicy flavor, but one that still lets you taste the various nuanced elements of the dish. I guess that’s one reason why I’m a big fan of chipotle flavor, and sharing Grilled Chipotle Pork Chops today.
Chipotle tends to have more of a smoky flavor than five alarm heat. I guess that makes sense seeing as chipotles are smoked chile peppers. If I’m ordering out and I see something with chipotle in it, there’s a good chance it’s going to be ordered.
To enjoy chipotle flavor at home, I’ve got a quick chipotle sauce I put together. Sometimes I use this chipotle sauce to flavor up chicken that’s already been cooked, or add it to a taco.
Today we use our chipotle sauce as a quick marinade for grilled pork chops. The quantity of sauce called for provides enough for a both a marinade and then extra to pass at the table for those that want to double down on that chipotle spice.
You might well still have enough to flavor up something else with it during the week. Just be sure that you are passing the sauce that was set aside before adding it to the pork, you don’t want to be passing the excess chipotle used to marinade the pork. The photo below shows how it looks to those of us who like to add some extra chipotle sauce!
To make delicious grilled chipotle pork chops, be sure you don’t overcook that pork! Lean pork chops can get dry quickly if you cook them too long. Exact cooking time will depend on the thickness of your chops and your grilled temperatures, but it is likely to be cooked in right around 11 to 12 minutes.
What about kids and spicy food? Though we introduced our ten year old to spice fairly early, he will only go for some spice combos.
Our guy has developed a taste for garlic and cumin, but not chipotle. So I cooked one chop using the spice blend featuring those ingredients, described over here in our Heaven Sent Grilled Pork Chops post. And if you want another favorite pork recipe, be sure to check out our Boneless Baked Pork Ribs recipe!
We served the grilled chipotle pork chops with a salad and our Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter, which is the perfect side for a spicy main!
You can either pick a red wine that has a little spice element to it, so that it will stand up to the meat while playing along with the chipotle, or a white wine with a touch of sweetness. We opted for the red choice, opening a nice bottle of Tempranillo (the grape varietal featured in a Rioja). If choosing a white, I would go for a Riesling.
Grilled Chipotle Pork Chops Recipe DetailsPrint
Grilled Chipotle Pork Chops
Pork chops grilled with a with a simple chipotle sauce for a big flavored meal.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 22 mins
- Yield: 3 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: grilling
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- 3 pork chops, about 1 inch thick, rinsed and patted dry
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus 1 teaspoon of the adobo sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch cinnamon
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat a grill to 400 degrees.
- Add the the tomatoes, chipotle and adobo sauce, 1 teaspoon cumin, cinnamon and garlic clove to a food processor. Whir to puree the ingredients together.
- Scoop ¾ of a cup of the chipotle mixture into a plastic bag. Add the pork chops to the bag, seal, and toss gently to coat the chops with the chipotle mixture. Reserve the remainder of the chipotle mixture.
- Let the pork chops marinate for about 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Remove the chops from the bag, shake the excess chipotle marinade off.
- Place the pork chops on the grill, and grill covered for for 6 minutes. Flip the pork chops over on the other side and grill covered for 5 more minutes. Check for doneness. The pork chops should be cooked through, a bit of pink is OK for a nice juicy pork chop. Remove to a platter if done, or cook for a couple more minutes to finish if needed.
- Let the grilled pork rest on a platter for a few minutes. Then plate the pork chops, and serve with about 1 tablespoon of chipotle sauce spread over the chop. Pass additional chipotle sauce at the table for those who would like more. Enjoy!
- Note: only pass the reserved chipotle sauce that was not used to marinate the pork.
Keywords: grilled pork chops, chipotle pork chops
The Finer Cookie/Kim
Gorgeous. Again. I still remember your spinach salad from last week! I’m enthusiastic about grilled pork chops with spicy chipotle sauce. Set a place for me. I’ll bring something white and cold.
good memory re: the salad! White and cold would work nicely with this!
Tammi @ Momma's Meals
I love the idea of spicing up the usual grilled pork chops! Delish!
Grilled pork chops are part of our summer dinner repertoire, so I’m thrilled with a new, delicious recipe! Thanks, David!
I totally agree with you… I like to taste my food. My senses tell me this must be an amazing recipe… thanks for sharing 🙂
These will be such a hit in my house!
Tandy | Lavender and Lime
I have some chipotle chillies at home so I will use them next time we eat pork. We have a varietal here called Syrah (Shiraz) which I know would work well with the chipotle 🙂
oh yes, a bet a Syrah would work well with it!
Those grill marks are gorgeous! Love the flavors you’ve got going on here too, David. Nothing beats a spicy, smokey pork chop!
I like the sound of your simple marinade and those grill marks are great!
Our Weber makes some nice grill marks for sure!
Dear David, your pork chops sound wonderful…simple but so flavorful. Perfect summer recipe my friend! Take care, Catherine
I love how simple this is- so glad to have a great grill recipe!
This reminds me it’s been too long since I’ve grilled pork chops. These look simply marvelous!
Thanks Renee! Once it’s grilling season we don’t go too long between grilled pork chops meals here.
Chicken Karahi Pakistani
Can’t wait to try this recipe! I love your recipes & have tried many.
Great, hope you like this one!