Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet features Mediterranean flavor from olives, feta cheese and lemon juice. Try this easy recipe for a healthy meal on a busy night! Part of the Sunday Supper event featuring skillet recipes.
Yes, it’s back to school time and that means we are all looking for easy meals! My cast iron skillet (Amazon affiliate link there in case you need to get a skillet for yourself!) gets a good workout all seasons, but even more so this time of year now that there’s a bit less outdoor cooking than summertime. So I’m happy to share this Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet for today’s easy skillet recipe themed Sunday Supper hosted by Liz at That Skinny Chick Can Bake.
I make a lot of food in the skillet–7 of my favorite skillet recipes can be found here–but wanted to do something a little different. I’m interested in finding some more ways to eat ground turkey, and thought I’d make a turkey skillet dish. I decided to cook up ground turkey with some onions and garlic, and add some spinach for color and nutrition. I started thinking about some Mediterranean flavors for the dish–oregano, cinnamon, feta, olives and lemon juice. The result was this flavorful and easy Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet recipe.
I served the Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet over orzo, and that was a nice combination. I suspect it would be tasty with couscous, too.
We had our Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet with a Picpoul de Pinet, a white wine grape found in the Languedoc region of France. I picked that mostly because I thought it would be the best option out of what I had on hand. If I had a rosé on hand, I’d have gone with that. A Pinot Noir, or perhaps a Greek Agiorgitiko might be good options in the red wine department.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 colored bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs lemon
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 10 ozs orzo
- ⅓ cup feta cheese
- 8 olives, sliced
- cooked orzo, for serving
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add the onion, cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bell pepper. Cook for a few more minutes, then add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add the turkey, breaking it up with a heavy spoon. Stir to combine with the other ingredients, then stir in the red wine.
- When the red wine has been absorbed after a minute or two, stir in the tomatoes, followed by the oregano and cinnamon. This is a good time to put on begin cooking the orzo to serve with the turkey spinach skillet.
- Simmer the turkey and vegetable mixture for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the spinach, and cook for a few more minutes, until wilted. Stir in the lemon juice, olives and feta.
- Drain the cooked orzo, and scoop a serving onto a plate. Scoop a serving of the turkey spinach skillet mixture over the orzo and enjoy!
Easy Skillet Recipes from Sunday Supper
Favorite Skillet Breakfasts
- Sweet Potato, Bacon, and Egg Skillet by Positively Stacey
Favorite Skillet Sides
- Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Home Sweet Homestead
Favorite Skillet Entrees
- Alex’s Favorite Skillet Meal by The Freshman Cook
- Apple, Squash and Chicken Skillet by The Redhead Baker
- Black Bean and Rice Skillet by Wholistic Woman
- Chakchouka (Tunisian Eggs in Tomato Sauce) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chili Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- How to cook ChopSuey Vegetable Stir Fry with Beef by Asian In America
- Clean Eating Hamburger Helper Skillet by A Mind Full Mom
- Creamy Paprika Chicken & Peppers by My Life Cookbook
- Easy Pink Pasta Skillet by Family Foodie
- Easy Skillet Lasagna by New South Charm
- Greek Turkey Spinach Skillet by Cooking Chat (you are here)
- Hatch Chile Shakshuka by Helpful Homemade
- Healthy Vegetable Skillet Dinner by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Huevos Rancheros by The Hungry Goddess
- Japanese Korean Tofu Sliders by The Ninja Baker
- Healthy Kielbasa, Brussels Sprouts, Potato & Pear Skillet by Food Done Light
- Kung Pao Chicken by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken and Vegetables by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Loaded Skillet White Pesto Pizza by Crazed Mom
- One Pan Taco Rice Skillet by The Chef Next Door
- One Pot Beef Stroganoff by My World Simplified
- Pork and Sweet Potato Hash by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pork with Gingered Pluots by Palatable Pastime
- Salsa Chicken Skillet by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Sautéed Gnocchi with Pomodo Crudo by What Smells So Good?
- Smothered Potatoes and Sausage by Sunday Supper Movement
- Spanish Rice and Beef Skillet Dinner by Meal Planning Magic
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet by Caroline’s Cooking
- Summer Squash Frittata by Pies and Plots
- Tamale Pie by Monica’s Table
- Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Skillet by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Veggie-Packed Sloppy Joes by Powered By BLING
- Yellow Rice Skillet by Cricket’s Confections
Favorite Skillet Desserts
- Fudgy Skillet Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Skillet Cookie by The Crumby Cupcake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.